Game Recap Week 9

10/7/07 vs. Enforcers (6-2-0)

After breaking our losing streak last week with a tie vs. the Puckhawgs, we looked to get back into the win column vs. the Enforcers. In our last meeting, we dominated and shocked them in the first period to cruise to an easy victory, but we didn’t expect this one to be as easy.

Off the opening faceoff, the Enforcers broke in over our blueline and after a couple of strange bounces through the defense, the puck found its way to the Enforcers winger who fired a quick wrist shot past Josh and into the net just :12 seconds into the game for an early 1-0 lead. This was not the way we hoped to start, but with the whole game left in front of us, we knew there was still plenty of time. We eventually balanced out the play and began to get scoring opportunities, however at the 5:07 mark, the Enforcers found the net again to build a 2-0 lead. A few minutes later, we found ourselves down two men as Keith was in the box for a hook and Ed for a hold. While the Enforcers peppered us with offense during their two-man advantage, we managed to kill off the penalties and get ourselves to the second period without any more damage being done.

The second period was much more even, as we continued to create offensive chances, but just couldn’t find the net. Eventually, at the 7:31 mark, Ed was able to find the net off a pass from Tom S. to cut the lead to one. However, just less than five minutes later, the Enforcers built their lead back up to two as they scored on a 2-on-1. Bob made a great defensive play blocking the original shot, but it put Josh out of position as the puck deflected right to the open man, who had the whole net to shoot at and didn’t miss.

Down two goals heading into the third, we knew we’d have to press to get the next goal and get us back into the game. Time after time however, we just could not finish off the play. Finally, with 2:16 remaining, Tom N. and Ed found Chuck in the slot and he fired a wrist shot into the corner to cut the lead back down to one. Off the ensuing faceoff, the puck came back to Tom N., who fed Ed to carry it into the zone. He made a nice pass over to Chuck at the left hash mark who tried to make another great shot, but it knuckled off his stick, which actually caught the Enforcers goalie off guard and the puck slipped into the far corner of the net to tie the game up at three with just 2:02 to play. The final two minutes were as intense as any other part of this game as both teams had chances to score the go-ahead goal, but both goalies were in denial mode and we ended the game with a second straight tie.

Final Score: 3-3 (5-2-2)

Next week, we play the Rangers, who are still looking for their first win.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: